AS093 Ask Sister podcast published on November 24, 2011. Sponsored by aNunsLife.org ministry. This is a Special Edition on Saints, holiness, and joy. The nuns are joined by Catholic superstars Sister Sandra Schneiders, IHM, and Father James Martin, SJ.
Sister Sandra Schneiders
- What is the Scriptural basis for the saints? In iconography and in various visual renderings, the saints are often pictured with some kind of symbol that speaks to something about their life — Teresa of Avila is pictured with a dove and quill, Saint Joseph with carpentry tools.
- Centuries from now, what symbol would you hope would be associated with you?
- What does holiness mean in general as well as in the ups and downs of our daily life?
- What was it like first getting to know the author of the Fourth Gospel?
- Check out Sister Sandra’s new book Prophets in Their Own Country: Women Religious Bearing Witness to the Gospels in a Troubled Church
Father James Martin
- What role do saints play in our prayers?
- Is it considered a miracle that some saints do not decompose after dying?
- Isn’t holiness a pretty serious thing?
- What role do joy, humor, and laughter play in the spiritual life?
- What’s the deal with relics?
- What advice would you give to people who want to live a saintly life?
- Check out Father Jim’s new book Between Heaven and Mirth: Why Joy, Humor, and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life
Sister Sandra Schneiders, IHM, is professor emerita in the Jesuit School of Theology at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, California. Fr. James Martin, SJ, is a Jesuit priest and author of Between Heaven and Mirth.